Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes
Date: January 16, 2016
Location: Scrapbooks ETC, Mesa, AZ
President Holly James at 1:15pm. Approximately 36 people were in attendance.
Thank you to all who provided snacks this month!
Introduction of New Members: Welcome Erynn!
- December meeting minutes approved.
- Website updated to have tab with Local Quilt Shops that carry modern fabrics. Please contact secretary Kate Gunther with additional shops to add.
President\Vice President Report
- 2015 Dues must be paid by Jan 31st or you’ll be removed from the roster (local & MQG)
- Overview of the year’s events (see separate sheet
- Challenges of the Quarter:
- March: Nametags
- February meeting details: no official meeting due to quiltcon. Open sew at ETC 1-4pm.
- 2016 Guild T-Shirts (will do a shirt each year)
- Contest for design for this year’s shirt! Submit your design to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15th. We will vote on designs at the March meeting and start taking shirt orders. 5 colors maximum. Can be hand-drawn as we have access to a graphic designer.
- Lizzy House Meadows workshop
- 2 sessions (choose one) Fri March 11 or Sat March 12th at ETC.
- Cost is $100 for members; $125 for non members
- Registration open today to members through Jan 31st then will open to public. Payment due by Jan 31st or your spot will be given to someone else.
- Elaine Putnam, president of AQG has invited anyone from our guild to enter their quilts in their Quilt Show which will be held this year March 24-26th at the Mesa Convention Center.
- DEADLINE TO SUBMIT IS JANUARY 22nd
- Not a juried show so ALL submissions will be accepted and shown!
- Entry forms will be posted on the site in the resource center.
- Cost to enter is $25 which includes membership in AQG. As a member you can attend the show for $5 or free if you work a shift!
March Meeting: Color Theory Class
- QuiltCon entries – Notifications sent out by December 30
- AQS Quilt Week – February 11-14 at Phoenix Convention Center
- Lizzy House Meadows workshop at Etc. – March 11 and 12th – cost $100/members, $125/non members. Members sign up by 1/31 to secure your spot, 2/1 the spots open to non members. See separate blog post for sign up and instructions.
- We would like to have a roster with contact information to share with members of the guild so that people can more easily reach out to each other to do sew days, quilt shop trips or connect for lunch/dinner, etc.
- We will be sending out a google document to those on the roster and will have people enter in the information that they are comfortable sharing with guild members. Be on the look out!
- Modern Minute Introduction. Every meeting we will be having a modern minute where a member will present a modern concept or idea. See Holly Reid for more information.
- Show and Tell
- New format: Please answer the question: “What makes your item modern?” when presenting your item. We love to learn from everyone’s perspective and how they interpret “modern”
- Review Committee items
- challenge due dates: Mar (name tags – see Pinterest board here) /June/Sept/Nov
- swaps (March: favorite notion for under $10.00)
- block of the month – format and sign ups. Starts in March!
- Vitamin D Bee – format and sign ups.
- Balance at last meeting: $1865.00
- Money in: $525.00
- Money out: $1000.00 (yearly dues to MQG)
- New balance: $1562.65
- The PayPal button on the Membership page has been updated to accept dues for 2016. Membership renewal is due by January 30th, 2016.
- We have a few donated quilt tops for our Charity, Anchor House that need to be quilted. Please contact Holly at email@example.com if you can help! Please continue to donate baby, twin and larger quilts for our charity! Thank you so much for your generosity.
- Treasure Box is out and there are some lovely pieces available. Items will be regularly reviewed and remaining items will be donated.
- Girl Scouts are accepting fabric donations. If you have fabric that you no longer want, but want to donate please see Brooke Ringer.
- Clothworks bundle: Amber
- Charm Pack: Nedra
- Aurifil: Anna
- Aurifil: Carol
- Vitamin D Bee
- Show and Tell
Activity: Cathedral Windows Class taught by Michelle Hart, Treasurer
Next Meeting: March 19th at ETC in Mesa, AZ
Open Sew at ETC in Mesa on February 20th! Come sew if you’re not going to QuiltCon!
Close of Meeting
Minutes prepared by Kate Gunther, Secretary of Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild