Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes
Date: April 18, 2015
Location: Scrapbooks ETC
President Michelle Hart called the meeting to order at 1:15pm. Approximately 33 people were in attendance. Thank you Brooke, Cheryl, Terri for bringing snacks.
Guests Nancy, Susanna, Bell, Jana, and Cindy were welcomed.
Secretary’s Report from Rebecca Whaling
- March meeting minutes approved.
President’s Report from Michelle Hart
- The May 16th meeting will feature a Bias Curves workshop by member Cristy. There will be a separate post with the materials list.
- QuiltCon West 2016 will be in Pasadena, CA. The catalog is due out on June 1st. Member Jill passed along information about a bus tour by Gal Pals traveling to and from the February event. See their flyer for detailed information. Also, member Holly H mentioned that QuiltCon 2015 did not have many entries into the handwork category for the show.
VICE PRESIDENT’S REPORT FROM HOLLY JAMES
- The Scottsdale Civic Center Library Silver Room is booked on Saturday, April 25th from 10am-5pm for open sewing.
- A guild tshirt design was presented. Next meeting example shirts will be available in various sizes to try on. Cost will depend on the quantity ordered. Base shirt will probably be American Apparel.
- The venue used last year for the guild retreat has closed. This year the retreat will be at Odegaard’s Stay and Sew in Flagstaff the weekend of September 24th to 27th. Maximum occupancy is 10 and a sign up sheet was available. (after the meeting an email was also sent to all members with the details and contact information to sign up). Expected cost is $110 per person and does not include meals.
- Our guild charity this year is Anchor House, which is currently partnering with Habitat for Humanity to create a home for mothers and children. Sarah will coordinate quilt donations. The house is looking to open in June and for 2 to 4 twin size quilts for the mothers and 2 to 4 baby size quilts for the children. The first donation is our MQG QuiltCon 2015 Charity Quilt.
- Aurifil Thread: Chelsa
- Michael Miller Charm Pack: Kirsten
- Michael Miller Charm Pack: Ana
- Michael Miller Jelly Roll: Tracy
- Block of the Month: Ana and Bell presented the PHXMQG April Block for Nedra, Jelly Roll Sampler via Moose on the Front Porch Quilts.
- Mug Rug Swap: Eight members participated
- Vitamin D Bee
- Show and Tell
The meeting concluded at 2pm with the workshop starting at 2:06.
Activity: Quilted Script Pillow Workshop with Shiloh
Member Shiloh taught members how she makes Quilted Script Pillows. Techniques for hand drawing the applique as well as using a Wacom Tablet and Cameo cutter were shown. See the Resources page for a supply list and full instructions.Prepared by: Rebecca Whaling, April 25, 2014