Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild Minutes
Date: Oct.19th, 2013
How many people present- 16 (by my count)
1:00 PM Welcome
1:25 PM Call to Order by President Tiffany
Secretary’s Report: Amended Meeting Minutes from August, 2013 were approved and seconded.
Previous Balance $1171.68
Current Balance $1278.52
The only nomination at the meeting was for Allisa for Treasurer. We will continue to accept nominations by email to email@example.com until November 1, 2013. At that time, all nominations will posted. We will be voting for President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary/Historian at our November meeting. You must be present to vote.
Also, start thinking about what you might like to Chair this year
MQG–the benefits of joining. The board members discussed the various benefits of joining the national MQG. At this time, we plan on keeping the dues at $25.00 per year (and about $15 of that will be going to the MQG) per person. The following is a list of many of the points that were discussed at our meeting.
Benefits for joining the Modern Quilt Guild National Organization
For The Individual
- discounted entry fees for MQG quilt shows
- – discounted rates on conferences and events
- – priority and early-bird registration for conferences and events
- – discounts and special offers with MQG sponsors, legal fees and affiliated
- – permission to the the Modern Quilt Guild logo
- – access to MQG Leaders only newsletter and forum
- – opportunities to participate in inter-guild swaps and challenges
- – involvement in MQG fabric challenges
- – membership cards
- – official member blog button
- – membership pins
- – 10% discount on online MQG merchandise purchases
For The Guild
- 501(c)(3) Status and Protection
- Access to their online community (launching Fall 2013) – each guild will be able to manage their membership on the MQG community, accept dues (basically everything we are trying to do on our own right now)
- Opportunities to participate in inter-guild swaps and challenges
- Discounted fees to enter MQG quilt shows
- Discounted rates on conferences and events
- Priority and early-bird registration on conference and event admissions (like the new sewdowns)
- Discounts and special offers with MQG sponsors and affiliated companies
- Membership Card
- Blog Button
- 10% discount on online MQG merchandise purchases and more!
In the end it was a unanimous vote to become members of the MQG on January 1, 2014. Members would like to revisit the idea of joining for future years next year in November. If they feel they are getting enough out of it we will rejoin and if not we won’t.
- November 9th, 11-6, at Chandler Police Station – Sew-in
- November 16th, 12-4, at ETC – Elections, Triangles on a roll Demo, Sign Ups for Holiday Party and fabric swap
- December 21st, 12-5 – at Chandler Police Stations, Holiday party potluck and annual fabric swap
Bonnie – announced the Modern Quilt Lovers’ next meeting is the first Sunday of the month from 1-3 PM (check website for more info). They had a good turnout and will be exchanging pincushions at their next meeting.
Giveaway: Nancy won a bundle of charms in Kate Spain’s “Twelve Days of Christmas” and Tiffany won the Pink Chalk fabrics bundle and $20.00 gift certificate.
Danny explained how our Vitamin D Bee works and how her online Stash Bee works. For more info on the virtual bee go to http://stashbee.blogspot.com/
Skillbuilder BOM punches
Danny and the Viatmin D Bee met and Chelsa passed out her fabric and block choice for Improv Flying Geese.
Embellishment Challenge had three participants
Chelsa’s Pillow Swap had five participants (the next swap is December’s fabric swap, info to follow)
Adjournment: 3:30 PM