Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes
Date: November 15, 2014
Location: Scrapbooks ETC
President Michelle Hart called the meeting to order at 1:14pm. Approximately 32 people were in attendance. Thank you Guinevere for bringing snacks.
New member Crystal was welcomed.
Secretary’s Report from Rebecca Whaling
- October meeting minutes approved.
President’s Report from Michelle Hart
- 2015 elections. No candidates ran opposed so a verbal vote was taken for all positions. All candidates were approved and are as follows:
- President: Michelle Hart
- Vice President: Holly James
- Treasurer: Chelsa Knight
- Secretary: Rebecca Whaling
- Bee Keeper: Brooke Ringer
- Block of the Month Chair: Ana Martinez
- Challenge of the Quarter Chair: Sarah Connolly
- Hospitality and Snack Chair: Kate Gunther
- Show & Tell and Giveaway Chair: Holly Hughes
- Swap Chair: Katie Corning
- Committee chairs are open for Charity, Quiltalong, and Quilt Show.
- MQG regional representatives were elected to the board. Andres Rosales (known as madtesla) is the representative for our region. Region 1 includes all members in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
- Member Rebecca had a mention in issue 14 of Love Patchwork and Quilting.
- December will be our annual end of year potluck. Signups are on PerfectPotluck.com (coordinator: Bobman; password: PHXMQG). The meeting will be at ETC and start one hour earlier, at 12:00pm.
Treasurer’s Report from Chelsa Knight
- Current balance: $1,016.74
- December swap will be fabric fat quarters. There will be three swaps, solid pastel, solid jewel tone, and text prints (in black, white, gray, or off-white). To participate sub-cut 2 yards of fabric into 8 fat quarters. To ensure a variety of colors for the solid swaps there is a signup on SignUpGenius.com (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e4eaeaf2baaf85-december). Passcode: PHXMQG.
- MQG Webinar on November 18th (Tuesday) “FUn with Figures, How to Calculate Quilty Math”. Signups on www.themodernquiltguild.com.
- QuiltCon Quilt Show entry deadline is November 30th.
- Member Nedra will be running a block of the month of Tula Pink’s City Sampler book at Mad B’s (7415 E Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85209)
- Member Christy is teaching several classes at ETC
- Member Bonnie has accepted a position with the Scottsdale Public Library to host a quilting education group. The group will meet at the Scottsdale Civic Center on the last Wednesday of the month starting in January. The “Not Your Mama’s Quilting” program is free.
- Bonnie was able to drop off six more dog beds filled with our fabric scraps to Bernina Connection to be donated to local animal shelters.
- American Made Fabric Bundle: Dana
- Love Patchwork and Quilting: Crystal
- Vitamin D Bee meeting
- Swap: Mini Bunting
- Show and Tell: Kirsten, Bonnie, Cristy, Crystal, Chelsa
QuiltCon Charity Quilt Challenge: Paper Pieced Block Sewing
Michelle started the workshop at approximately 2:15pm, giving an overview of the project, colors to be used, and a paper-piecing tutorial. Those not completing a block at the meeting but still wanting to submit one can mail them to Michelle (address being sent in a member only message) to arrive no later than Saturday, November 22nd. Drop offs can also be arranged to Chelsa at her office.Prepared by: Rebecca Whaling, November 17, 2014