Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes
Date: February 28, 2015
Location: Chandler PD Community Room
President Michelle Hart called the meeting to order at 1pm. Approximately 36 people were in attendance. Thank you Tracey, Kirsten, and Fran for bringing snacks.
Guest Adrienne were welcomed. Newest members Susan & Linda Jenkins welcomed.
Secretary’s Report from Rebecca Whaling
- January meeting minutes approved.
President’s Report from Michelle Hart
- Challenge – Pantone Color of the Year Marsala, is due next month. The website Play Crafts is also having a Marsala Challenge which will be accepting entries April 17-24. There are three entry categories (Minis, Quilts, and Just the Top) each with three prizes.
- The National Quilt Museum is having a contest to celebrate their 25th year. The theme is “The Gala of the Unexpected” and entries run until December 1st.
- The Vision Gallery in Chandler has an artist call for “Art Quilts XX: Journeys and Life Cycles of Quilting” with an entry deadline of August 24th. The exhibit will run November 13th – January 9th.
- The annual Gilbert Historical Museum Art of Quilting Show runs March 3rd – May 30th.
- By-law change was proposed by President Michelle Hart to clarify dues owed for new members of Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild that already hold an Individual Membership in the national Modern Quilt Guild. The by-law update was passed.
- Thank you to Hospitality Chair Kate for Welcome Kits. Each kit includes some basic information about the guild and modern quilting, a PHXMQG pin, and an English Paper Piecing Kit.
- The March meeting will be on March 21st at Scrapbooks ETC. Helen from Sew Kind of Wonderful will be doing a demo and trunk show of the Quick Curve Ruler.
Treasurer’s Report from Chelsa Knight
- Outgoing: $49
- Balance: $1496.00
- Bonnie showed several pieces she has sewn with local designer Carrie Bloomstom’s (SUCH Designs) new line Story due out later this year.
- The April swap will be mug rugs.
- Copy of Love Patchwork & Quilting: Kim
- Aurifil Thread Pack: Bonnie
- Priory Square Bundle from Westwood Acres: Teresa P
- Block of the Month: Wendy presented the PHXMQG January Block, Curn Dash.
- Pincushion Swap: 16 swappers participated.
- Vitamin D Bee: Becca passed out kits for a Modern String block.
- Show and Tell: Bonnie, Katie, Wendy, Sarah, Linda, Chelsa, Shiloh, Michelle, Holly H
Using the MQG Website
- Becca demonstrated how to log onto the MQG website to access resources and community features.
- Members who attended QuiltCon 2015 shared their experiences as well as examples from classes taken.
- Winners were drawn from those who participated in the #phxmqgvirtualquiltcon Instagram contest.