Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild Meeting Minutes
Date: March 21, 2015
Location: Scrapbooks ETC
President Michelle Hart called the meeting to order at 1:07pm. Approximately 38 people were in attendance. Thank you Holly, Julie, and Crystal for bringing snacks.
Guests Hydee, Theresa, Dana, Jan, Kelli, Kari, and Katie were welcomed.
Secretary’s Report from Rebecca Whaling
- February meeting minutes approved.
President’s Report from Michelle Hart
- Happy National Quilting Day
- The MQG Riley Blake Challenge featuring their “Cottage Garden” line is currently running with entries due July 31st.
- The Arizona Quilter’s Guild 2015 Show begins on Thursday, March 26th. The show theme this year is Arizona Dreaming and runs Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Member Crystal has a piece in the show.
- The April 18th meeting will feature a workshop by member Shiloh on making the Scripted Pillow shown at Show and Tell Earlier in the Month. There will be a separate post with the materials list.
- The April swap will be quilted mug rugs. Sizing for mug rugs are slightly larger than a coaster but much smaller than a place mat. Generally they are used for a mug and a small snack. See the PHXMQG Pinterest Board for inspiration.
- The May 16th meeting will feature a Bias Curves workshop by member Cristy. There will be a separate post with the materials list.
- Hospitality Chair Kate announced that we will begin having a ‘Take a Scrap, Leave a Scrap’ table at meetings.
- Challenge Chair Sarah announced that the June challenge will be to take a tradition quilt block and interpret it in a modern style. Challenge projects can be any quilted/sewn project.
- Wendy has suggested getting recipes from those who bring homemade snacks to meetings. If you would like to share your recipe for a snack you have brought please contact Secretary Becca.
- Challenge Chair Sarah has proposed a guild charity for the year, Anchor House, which is currently partnering with Habitat for Humanity to create a home for mothers and children. Quilts ranging from infant to adult would be welcome to be used for the 2-4 families that will be hosted at the house. Members in attendance approved. The Charity Chair position is not filled this year but Sarah will coordinate donations.
- Hawthorne Threads Fabric: Cristy
- Aurifil Thread Color Me Happy Pack: Becca
- Izzy & Ivy Messenger Bag Pattern: Melissa
- Block of the Month: Mari presented the PHXMQG March Block, Tic Tac Toe via Blossom Heart Quilts.
- Marsala Challenge: Three members participated, Sarah, Lora, and Jill. The challenge was to use the Pantone Color of the Year in a quilting project. Participants were entered into a drawing for a $25 Gift Certificate from Fat Quarter Shop and Jill was the winner.
- Show and Tell: Cynthia, Marla, Kirsten, Cheryl, Dana, Cristy, Candace, Julie, Melissa, Kate, Keira, Shiloh, Kari
Activity: Sew Kind of Wonderful Quick Curve Ruler Demo and Trunk Show
Guest Helen from local company Sew Kind of Wonderful started a demo of the Quick Curve Ruler at 2:09pm. After the demo there was a trunk show of quilts and other projects made with the Quick Curve Ruler and featuring patterns from Sew Kind of Wonderful.Prepared by: Rebecca Whaling, March 23, 2014