2017 Block of the Month
This year’s Chair, Mel W., has selected the Smorgasblocks Quilt to do as a quilt-along for our BOM program!
Remember your tags!
#PHXMQGBOM2017 #smorgasblocks and @eyecandyquilts – monthly featured designers listed below as well!
- January – No Y-Seam Feathered, read up on Eye Candy Quilts’ thoughts, and then sign up over on Threaded Quilting Studio’s site to get the free pattern. Reminder – you only need to do the 12″ block for our QAL+BOM.
- February – Make 7 Raspberry Kiss blocks, see instructions here
- March – Check out the Spinning Pyramids free pattern over on Robert Kaufman! There are 16 possible rotations of the patter, but you only need 4 for the BOM project. Make sure to leave 1/4″ seam allowance on the outside of your blocks for when we join them up together! Follow the link above, or click here for the .pdf – SpinningPyramids-revised20160106.
- April – Scandi Windmill by No Hats Quilts is a beautiful block to add! It introduces curved piecing and incorporates a little more paper piecing. Make sure you add a quarter inch on all sides at the end so there’s room for this block to be attached into the larger quilt top! Here’s the write up on Eye Candy Quilts.
- May – The Twizzle! This eye-catching block is a stunner and is a great use of the half-rectangle triangle. We are going to be doing three of this block, and if you plan your colors ahead of time, you can get the look of a double-helix. When you follow the link to download the free pattern, keep in mind that it is for a whole quilt top, and you only need to make three! Wheee!!
- June – This month will be a bit of a break from sewing new blocks (read – catch up month), and we will be putting the blocks we already have together.
- July – Barn Bats! Aren’t these little guys the cutest?! Elizabeth Hartman gives a great free tutorial over on her site. BARN BATS BLOCK OR MINI QUILT printable pdf.
- August – This month is another paper-pieced pattern, but it is the last of the paper-piecing patterns! 🙂 It’s called Whiskers, and the pattern can be downloaded from Craftsy or from the Smorgasblock blog post. There will also be some print-outs at the August meeting. The pattern has added the 1/4″ seam around the edges of the templates, but make sure to overlap and trim the sewn seam allowances to 1/4″. The pattern also comes with some helpful tips if people are new to paper-piecing. The cat block finishes at 15.5″.
- There is a mis-label! On the pattern, part F, numbers 2 and 3 are swapped! Once you get the hand of FPP this should pop out at you, too!
- September – It is traditional piecing this time, and simple to put together. My only tip is that if the background of the rest of the quilt thus far is a lighter color, then people may want to reverse the colors on this block so it pops out more. So, where it says “white” they might want to choose a contrast/darker color. Follow instructions from Eye Candy Quilts page or Hyacinth Quilt Designs
- October – Try your hand at Improv Piecing! This is a great way to dabble in some improvisational piecing, a technique employed in some modern quilt aesthetic perspectives – and you only need to do a little bit for one arrow for our BOM project! The unfinished block will be 4.5″ x 20″. Check out Grace and Favour’s tutorial here, or the original post from Eye Candy Quilts here.
- November – Almost there! Here and here are the links to the November tutorial. For those of you coming to the November meting, Mel has an Orange Peel template you can trace, 4-1/2″ is what the pattern calls for!
Pssst…. If you want to work ahead, check out all the blocks here.
Previous Years’ BOMs
Under construction… Check back later!